Gnome Packaging

Hello!  As a Gnome user and advocate, I've been looking at ways to
galvanise Gnome Office which has, of late, fallen a little by the way
side.

During GO list discussion, we established that the current GO website
(www.gnome.org/gnome-office) lists a lot of stuff that probably doesn't
fall under the GO category.  And some things that some felt should be GO
software is probably going to be packaged under Gnome.

I've also noticed some grumbles about things being proposed for Gnome
that will bump up the Gnome desktop size-wise; Evolution being the main
offender there.

Anyway, this is just my harmless conjecture on the matter:

I've started to wonder about the merits of breaking up the Gnome desktop
into subcategories, in a manner not dissimilar to the way the KDE
project does things.  For example:

Gnome-Core: All the core Gnome libs
Gnome-Tools: Nautilus, gnome-networking, gnome-system-tools, etc
Gnome-Net: Epiphany, gFtp, etc
Gnome-Comms: Evolution, Gaim, GnomeMeeting, etc
Gnome-Media: Rhythmbox, Totem, gThumb, etc
Gnome-Office: AbiWord, Gnumeric, Gnome-DB, etc

It would be a useful distinction for those that want Gnome but not
all-things-Gnome:

 o  It would also be more difficult to criticize the inclusion of
    things like Evolution in Gnome-Comms than it is for including
    Evolution in the base Gnome desktop.

 o  It would be easier for people to cut out Evolution by only
    selectively getting parts of Gnome-Comms than it would if
    Evolution were integrated into Gnome as (I'm understanding)
    is proposed.

Regards,

- Charlie

--