Re: Workspaces

I guess there are cases where viewports are needed. Example:
You got an Emacs window and a debugger in one workspace and you need Emacs
and a terminal on another workspace. With viewports you can have that Emacs
window being visible in two workspaces at the same time, but not shown on
the third workspace which might just have Mozilla on it for example so you
don't need Emacs there. With the current Metacity implementation you can
either put an app visible on all workspaces or in just one. I guess that
having an app in two workspaces instead of one might make a difference in
some very specific cases.
I agree wtih the gnome team that Viewports are a bit too specialized and not
really suitable for being a default for "normal" users. But a GConf key
should maybe enable this feature as so many people ask it over the last 2
years. My husband used to use that feature on FVWM all the time back in the
day for example, however I don't need it. It is a bit of a special case but
many 'older' unix/Linux users seem to want it badly.

Eugenia