Gnome settings questions

Hello,

I am relatively new to Gnome and I have some questions about creating a relatively locked down desktop environment.

Some of the things that I am looking to do are:
- remove the "Known Applications" drop down list box from the Run menu
- remove the "save current setup" from the logoff dialog box
- set up what KDE calls the Kicker panel (not sure what the Gnome lingo is on this one, simply Panel?)

Background: I work for North Carolina Cooperative Extension. We have about 90 remote linux servers (Red Hat 7.2 and Red Hat 9) and we are looking to migrate everyone from KDE to Gnome. Our end users use diskless workstations and some of the models don't support OpenGL. Because we have a very small department to support the 1200 end users, we try to keep everything relatively locked down. For example, I want to put specific applications on the panel and not allow users to write changes to their personal panel and so forth (then we will change the panel when as we update/add applications, etc.)

I wasn't sure what issues could be resolved with gconf and what had to be handled seperately. I have read the .schemas files and tried using the mandatory settings but I'm not sure that they are working (for example, messed with the clock settings for testing purposes and set "gconftool-2 --direct --config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type bool --set /apps/clock_applet/prefs/show_date true" but can still turn off date display and it stays off after logging out and logging back in).

Anyway, I'm glad to see that this list exists and I look forward to reading more.
--

Janyne Kizer
Systems Programmer Administrator