gnome-session (under 2.2) kills X.

Howdy, all.  I've got a problem that's really bugging me, and a -really-
weird work-around.  I hope someone can shed some light on this.  When I fire
up X (via "startx"), it gives the stock stippled screen, then goes to start
Gnome, and I even see one or two items crop up in the splash screen, and then
it dumps me back to text console.  The following is the contents of my
.xsession-errors file:

SESSION_MANAGER=local/greenroom:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2026
The application 'gnome-session' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 2058, errno = 0

Now for the  weird part.  If I launch startx, wait for the stippled screen,
then <ctl><alt><F1> to the console, wait about ten seconds, and then
<ctl><alt><F7> back to X... everything's fine.  WTF?  I've googled 'n stuff,
and can't seem to find anything that's appropriate.  Any help would be
tremendously appreciated.

Thanks,

-Ken D'Ambrosio