Re: repair of gnome corruption

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 10:03:19AM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:

> I'm running gnome2 (RH8.0), and gnome2 seems to fight the idea of
> doing repairs. The gconf utility allows me to change parameters, but
> the function of the numerous XML files in user's home directory is not
> at all clear, and they are not conveniently edited by hand (neither is
> necessitated merely by the use of XML).

The XML files are just where the gconf settings are stored.  Try
"gconftool-2 -R /" for example, to get a dump of everything in there.

What is broken? Then someone could take a guess at what you need to
fix.

> If I restore from backup, which gnome directories should I overwrite?
> In ~/, there are the .gnome, .gnome-desktop, .gnome2, .gnome2-private,
> and .gnome-private directories. What is the distinction of these
> directories, and which need to be restored from backup?

.gnome is GNOME 1.x and apps, .gnome-desktop is your desktop
background (trash icon etc.), .gnome2 is GNOME 2 configuration,
.gnome2-private is GNOME 2 configuration with 0700 permissions.

Havoc