Re: Will gnome-libs disappear ?

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 12:58, Paul E Johnson wrote:
> My hard disk in Redhat 9 filled up and I was looking for things to
> eliminate. I started to form the guess that I have lots of packages
> installed, some of which may be soon eliminated.
>
> For example, I have a mixture of Gnome 2 and Gnome 1 applications.  I
> have gnome-vfs and gnome-vfs2, GConf and GConf2. I have gnome-libs-1.4
> and libgnome-2.2
>
> Is it like that because some apps still run against Gnome 1 libraries.
>
> As soon as those apps are updated, then gnome-libs-1.4 will be a thing
> of the past, right?

Ya.  If you don't have apps that need the GNOME1.x libs, you can get rid
of it.

If you're that interested in saving space, you could try running the
latest development versions of the varied gnome apps.  For example, help
test Evolution 1.3 (working well for me at home), Galeon 1.3 (same), and
so on.  Then you can get rid of the old stable versions of those and all
the gnome1 libs.

Probably not a good idea if you're not comfortable placing bugs and
upgrading the apps every few days to test the latest revision.

--
The pain of war cannot exceed the woe of aftermath.
  -- Led Zeppelin, "Battle of Evermore"