Re: Directories searched for desktop files?

On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 18:56, Jose Romildo Malaquias wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I need to know what are the directories searched for
> desktop files in a Gnome2 installation.
>
> I would like to install a desktop file into the
> directory /usr/local/share/applications in a
> Red Hat Linux 9 box, but it does not work.
>
> When put in /usr/share/applications, it is found
> and considered.

GNOME-VFS isn't configured to look there.  If you open
/etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/applications-all-users.vfolder-info, you can add new
directories there.

Suspiciously, we see in this file on Redhat9:

<!-- Load the GNOME2 applications from our prefix -->
<ItemDir>/usr/share/applications/</ItemDir>

<!-- Add main GNOME2 entries if you build into a non-default prefix -->
<ItemDir>/usr/share/applications/</ItemDir>

Dunno about you, but those look identical.  I think the second one was
supposed to be /usr/local/share/applications/ but an over-sight caused
it to be missed.  I could be wrong tho - I'm not at all knowledgable on
this file and it's intended semantics.

There's probably several other things that won't work w/ usr/local
either - I recall pkg-config won't look in /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig, and
ld.so.conf doesn't look in /usr/local/lib either.  Quite annoying.

> Any help?
>
> Romildo
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.