gnome2.2 source building

Good day, and hello to the linux community.
I would like to inquire about installing Gnome2.2 from source tar.gz files.
I recently installed the X430src-1.tgz to X430src-7.tgz in my Red Hat 8 to build from source XFree86 v4.3.
I then installed pkgconfig0.15, atk, pango-1.2.1, glib-2.2.1, gtk+2.2.1, gtk-doc, linc, libIDL, ORBit, bonobo-activation, libbonobo, GConf, gnome-mime-data, gnome-vfs
set PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig"
what other settings are critical in building gnome2.2 correctly?
pango/pangoft2.h  No such file or directory  parse error before "FT Bitmap" when I tried installing libgnomecanvas-
I saw on some discussion thread that some install fcpackage or fontconfig from on their boxes. Doesn't XFree v4.3 take care of xft?
I am stuck with make errors on LIBGNOMECANVAS....
Would appreciate any hints or suggestions.
Thank you.
David Reyes