Re: Disabling nautilus

On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 09:03, Chris Rouch wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 16:08, Ben FrantzDale wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 06:46, Chris Rouch wrote:
>
> > > That gets rid of the entire desktop. Is there anyway to keep the desktop
> > > icons, but set the background from outside nautilus?
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean. The icons are drawn by Nautilus, so if you
> > don't have Nautilus running, you don't get icons.
>
> I want the icons, and I want nautilus, but I want to set the background
> from a script, not a gui.

This is very doable. I have a cron job that does it every hour. Here's
the script I use (never meant for public consumption :-) )

#!/usr/bin/perl

$dir = "/home/ben/Documents/pix/backgrounds/activeBackgrounds/";

@files = `ls ${dir}*.JPG`;

$filename = $files[rand(@files)];
chomp($filename);

system("gconftool-2", "--type", "string", "--set",
"/desktop/gnome/background/picture_options", "scaled");
system("gconftool-2", "--type", "string", "--set",
"/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename", $filename);

Basically gconftool-2 is the program you want to use.

I'm meaning to modify this script to weight it's choice toward recent
pictures but I havn't bothered yet.

--Ben