Launching applications that *require* arguments via panel menu

I have some applications that won't work start at all unless command line arguments are specified. I want to add these to the panel menu, but obviously normal .desktop files with the application name in "Exec=" won't do, as no arguments will be passed on startup, then; I somehow need to ask the user for input data that can be passed on the command line. Is there a standard mechanism for that in GNOME these days? Actually, I wrote an "application launcher" that might help me a few years ago, but I'd rather use built-in functionality if possible.

- Toralf