Question about GnomeCanvas

I'm not sure if this is the right list for this, but I couldn't find an
equivelant of "gnome-app-devel". Feel free to point me to another list
:)

I'm currently looking to port many of my custom widgets in my
application to libgnomecanvas2. I'd like to make these canvas widgets
objects (as they are now), but I'm not sure what object to derive these
new widgets from. So far I see 2 options:

GnomeCanvasItem: From what I can tell this is probably for canvas
drawing primitives.

GnomeCanvasGroup: Derive from a group and add GnomeCanvasItems in the
type GInstanceInitFunc.

Most of these widgets can be constructed with the current set of canvas
primitives, so I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to derive them
from GnomeCanvasItem.

An example of one of the widgets is a virtual piano keyboard that allows
one to play it with the mouse or computer keyboard. This object will
have a number of canvas related properties like width, height,
white_key_color, black_key_color, etc; as well as many non-canvas
properties and signals.

If anyone can give me some pointers as to how to create widget objects
that can be easily added to any canvas, I'd appreciate it. I already
have rather extensive knowledge with GObject and GtkObject type system,
just need some info on how to interface to GnomeCanvas. Cheers!
	Josh Green