not raising focused window

When I moved from gnome to gnome2, it seems, the relation between
window focus and raising seems to have changed, or at least I can't
figure out how to configure it.

What I need to do is to be able to give a window the focus by clicking
on it, but without thereby raising it. The Preferences, Window Focus,
dialog allows one to choose "click on focus," but not at the same time
to disable "Raise Window on Focus."

How do I achieve being able to give a window the focus by clicking on
it, but not at the same time raising it? I assume that I can edit a
configuration file somewhere to do this.

Haines Brown