GDM 'authentication failed'

Today I restarted X after several months and as soon as I enter a user
name I get an 'authentication failed' error box so I can't log into X.
This is before it asks for a password. I can login to a regular console
fine. I get the same message when I select the 'configure' option from
the menu.

I am running debian/testing and have installed all the curently
available packages in sarge. HELP!

--
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."
		-- Martin Luther King, Jr.