Re: A small problem

I don't get a login screen.  I think though that it is the session manager problem.  The reason that I say this is that I can get gnome running (sort of) if I manually set the environment variable to be gnome-session and then do an xinit after I have logged in from the console prompt.  To do this I must first login in from a different machine and kill the X server and the gdm daemons.  Kind of a pain to do and it doesn't work 100%.  If I don't set the environment variable SESSION_MANAGER and I try to run gnome-session I get a message saying

sh: doorman:  not found.

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
SESSION_MANAGER=local/martini.zk3.dec.com:/var/spool/sockets/ICE/3588,tcp/martini.zk3.dec.com:49802

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I really don't know what that means.  I have looked all over to see where SESSION_MANAGER gets set but I can't.

Bill

Ole Laursen wrote:
Bill Cote USG <billcote zk3 dec com> writes:

[on removing dot files to fix startup problem]

Thanks for the suggestion but it still doesn't work.  In fact there was no
difference at all when I moved those files which I think is fishy in itself.

Have you tried creating a new user in the system, and logging in as
that user?