Re: A small problem

No, it's unlikely to be a Gnome issue, in-and-of itself, as the problem is
that your window manager isn't coming up.  Granted, that -could- be called
by gnome-session, so you might want to rename your ~/.gnome/session
directory to something else, and see what (if, indeed, anything) changes.
If still no dice, then it's definitely not Gnome, but WM-related, and that
would depend on which WM you're running.

-Ken