Re: nautilus

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> > I guess my question then is... once I have a session completely laid out to
> > my liking, is there a simple way to create a backup of the file(s)?  Maybe
> > from ~/.gnome2/ someplace?  Is there a way to construct or reconstruct my
> > ~/.xinitrc based on a "session" that I like?
> I have a gnome-session-save command in /usr/bin/ which was provided
> by gnome-session. In Gnome 1.4 this used to be save-session, but
> we seem to have renamed a pile of commands for 2.0.  Run that.

# which gnome-session-save
/usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-session-save
# man gnome-session-save
No manual entry for gnome-session-save

More and more I have noticed that X apps do not have man pages.  How do
they expect users to feel safe and informed about what various commands do
if the only way to find out is to run them?

> I believe some people who don't want the whole of Gnome may try
> putting in 'gnome-panel &'. I haven't tried this myself.

Innnnnnnteresting...

> > How do I find out what the items in my "Start Menu" have for their
> > cmd lines?
> I'd swear there used to be a right-click option on menus to get
> the commands they run. Hmm. The laborious way would be right-click,
> say 'add launcher to panel', then right-click on the resulting
> launcher and look at the properties. The command line way is
> to look for the .desktop files in (probably) /usr/share/something.
> (If BSD puts them somewhere else, you're going to have to run a
> find for something like gnome-terminal.desktop and then look in
> that directory for the rest.)

You'd think wouldn't you, that right-clicking would be good detective work.

> I do not know what an active desktop is. I would mildly disagree
> that "Nautilus _is_ the Gnome 2 desktop". I don't use a file manager
> and I fancy that I am running Gnome 2 :) I just turned Nautilus
> off, because I don't need little pictures on my root window
> either.

How did you turn Nautilus off and "associate" folders being single clicked
with running your fm (file manager) of choice?

> File managers vary a lot. Gnome and KDE each have file managers
> which were designed to look and behave like the rest of their
> respective desktops. There are others out there designed to
> look and behave differently. An example is the ROX-Filer, whose
> drag and drop behaviour owes a lot to -- oh, dear, I forget
> now, but I believe it's RiscOS. You can run that within Gnome
> as far as I know. It has a lot of fans.
>
> I haven't used Windows so I don't know what the behaviour of
> Explorer or this other thing is.

Someone told me that mc (Midnight Commander) and Endeavour are very
windowsy as far as fm's go.  I may try those tonight.  Also, if any of you
have used ACDSee32 on Windows you may understand my wish to have them turn
out an opensource version even commercially - I'd pay loads for it! :)

> I have edited the subject line somewhat, because subjects
> about "foo sux" tend to get deleted by people who think it's
> just going to be flames. I nearly deleted it myself. If you
> are looking for answers, this isn't what you will want.
> Telsa

Oops.  Thanks - good point.  Cool name by the way, an anagram away from
electricity and stormy weather (Tesla).  ;-)

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder