Re: A silly question!!!!!!!

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 02:52:17PM -0400, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 04:02:34PM +0200, chiara zaniboni wrote:
> > > Hi! I've Mandrake Linux on my PC and I use the Gnome desktop.
> > > Sometimes a little fish (Wanda!) appears and swims though the desktop
> > > from the rigth to the left side!
> > > What is this??????????
> > Easter Egg. Fear not, there have been no reports of the fish ever
> > leaving the boundaries of the monitor and flopping out onto your
> > physical desktop. :-)
> > Malcolm
>
> How do you "activate" this Easter Egg?  I want to see what he means!  :)

I don't think George (Wanda's author) makes it activatable on command.
It's a reward for running Wanda for long periods of time.

> While I have your audience, I wondered how I tell what version of Gnome I
> am running?

Didn't we have this discussion before?

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2002-September/msg00044.html
seems very familiar. :-)

> My ~/.xinitrc runs exec gnome-session so is there a "-v or
> version" flag to that?  Also, I think my startx is running two windows
> managers concurrently, on top of each other.  I have "fvwm95 &" then "exec
> gnome-session" in my ~/.xinitrc so that's probably the cause.  I would just
> like to revert back to metacity.  Does anyone know how to do so?  Thanks!!

Try putting

export WINOW_MANAGER=metacity
exec gnome-session

into .xinitrc (replace WINDOW_MANAGER with your window manager of
choice).

Malcolm