Re: Are these "troubles" due to RedHat 8 or Gnome 2 ?

Sander Vesik <Sander Vesik Sun COM> writes:
> It is besides the point - it is inherently wrong to design a GUI that
> relies on the user going to the command line to change things.

So should we have a GUI to change your panel? How about to change your
file manager? How about a GUI to select the prefs dialog in which you
select the panel? Or a GUI to select the prefs dialog in which you
select the prefs dialog in which you select the panel? I know, the
panel should let you select the prefs dialog app, and the prefs dialog
app should let you select the panel.

For most users, if they change their window manager, their desktop
will be BROKEN. The keybindings will change; what mouse clicks on
windows do will change; the docs won't apply anymore; the theme
capplet probably won't work; etc. We don't want "break my desktop"
buttons in the default GUI. It's nonsense.

Havoc