gnome-libs-1.4 affects alignment of GTK+ clist labels

I'm having a problem with the alignment of GTK+ clist labels.

I have just switched from using the gnome-1.2.8 libraries to the
gnome-1.4 libraries. One of the side effects I'm seeing is that
the labels for all clist columns are now left justified, though
they were previously centered.

I attempted to force the labels to be centered with the
following GTK+ call, but it seems to do nothing:

  gtk_misc_set_alignment(GTK_MISC(label), 0.5, 0.5);

Any ideas on why the clist labels are all left justified now,
and how I can center them?

They are actually defined in Glade (using x-align 0.5).
That worked fine until switching to the gnome-1.4 libraries.

Thanks for any help,
--
Dean Schumacher			Email: dean schumacher alcatel com
Software Engineering Tools	Phone: 972.519.3252