Re: RedHat 8 - MetaCity + Blue Curve Desktop Menu Customization

Hi,

Cc'ing some more places that may have insight.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 10:17:06AM -0500, Blaine, Les PEO EIS CPR / TLA wrote:

> MetaCity + Blue Curve Desktop Menu Customization
>
> Need to create a custom desktop configuration for a group of end-users based
> on RH v8.
>
> Where can I find steps on ...
> How to add programs (launcher icons) to the menu/sub-menu rather than the
> desktop panel?
> How to lock down the front panel and menu options so end-users cannot add or
> remove applets and icons?
>
> Requirements
> Each end-user will run the same applications and the desktop panel.
> End-users cannot change the menus or panel.
> Remove choices and un-necessary items from the menu.

There's an admin guide document the docs team is working on, perhaps
there are some results of that available already.

We used to have a lockdown mode in the panel; I'm not sure if it's
fully working in GNOME 2.0.1 (in Red Hat Linux 8). Others may be able
to say. Certainly the feature should be restored if it's gone.

For actually editing the menu, see
/etc/X11/desktop-menus/applications.menu

Havoc