Re: Starting panel apps with root pwd request

On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 02:26, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> I have a few applications that need root priv in order to be run.  In
> the default gnome, things like system monitor have a prompt that pops
up
> and asks for a root password when the app is started.  I'm trying to do
> the same thing for these other apps but I can't figure out where to set
> root priv via that same password pop-up screen before the app starts.
>
> Anyone have any pointers?

I haven't looked at how the system monitor does this, but try googling
for "xsu", "gnome xsu" and "gksu".  These are all wrappers which can
prompt the user for a password before launching an app.
Actually, there are no traces of wrapper execution in the default apps that do this, as far as I can tell.

I think they are using pam/console.apps, possibly along with consolehelper instead. Have a look at the manual pages for those...

--
Jason D. Hildebrand
jason peaceworks ca