Re: I need some insight when installing gnome2 on Debian woody ...please!

Thank you RICH!!  gdm2 was the culprit as I am running gnome2 on top of gdm.  gdm2 won't run most resoltions/color depths on the XFree86 that comes w/ the latest updates to Debian (woody) -- argh!  gdm2 will run in 640x480 mode, however.  I will stick w/ gdm in the meantime.

Thanks again!

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 08:14, Jeff Vincent wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I am trying to upgrade to GNOME 2.0 using apt and pointing my sources.list to :
>
> deb  http://people.debian.org woody/gnome2 woody gnome2
> deb-src  http://people.debian.org woody/gnome2 woody gnome2
>
> When gdm2 came up the first time, it attempted to start 5 times then said:

I'm using gnome2 on sid, but I do have a suggested procedure, which
should get everything into sync:

Purge all gnome stuff. (apt-get remove --purge libglib1.2 libglib2.0
will probably do the job)

Do a ps -A, and make sure all the gnome processes, such as gconf,
bonobo-activation-server, etc, are stopped. Restart the computer if you
are not sure about what to stop.

Then apt-get install gnome 1.4, then gnome 2, but not gdm2. (There's
some actual instructions out there on the web for upgrading woody to
gnome2 somewhere, you might already have them.) You want the libs from
gnome 1.4 for galeon, evolution, and other apps that haven't been ported
yet. apt-get will handle replacing stuff for you.

Create ~/.xinitrc as follows, and make it executable:

# enable antialiasing
GDK_USE_XFT=1

export GDK_USE_XFT
exec gnome-session

Try startx. You should get a working gnome desktop.

Now install gdm2, and see what happens.

By the way, I'm using gdm. I'm waiting for the official debs for gdm2.

--
First Impressions are Bunk.