Re: gonme and the internet.

Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> But mine isn't. If I start GNOME up and the connection to the
> nameserver is down, then GNOME keeps looking for the nameserver
> for about 30s or a minute and then gives up, and then continues
> with the starting up process.
> Every application I launch then also looks for the nameserver,
> times out, and then starts up anyway.

People often think that running a nameserver is a Big Hairy Deal, but
if you don't need to be authoritative for any domains, it's actually
quite an easy and, dare I say it, lightweight process to configure and

On Debian, for instance, there's lwresd, pdnsd, djbdns, and maradns,
as well as the heavyweight BIND.

Network engineer, looking for work near Boston: