disk space and Ximian

I am not sure if this is the right list to ask this question.
I notice that when I download packages from Ximian that before
the download starts it gives and accounting of the size of the
download and how much diskspace will be used after the packages
are installed.  I notice that lots more space vanishes from my
hard disk than is stated.  This is the case even if the accounting
says that space will be freed on my hard drive.  The problem is
that my hard drive is filling up and I can't find if there is some
temporary or unnecessary files that can be deleted. Can someone
shed some light on this situation.  Thanks in advance.

George