Re: Help w/Install of Gnome

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 02:23:21PM -0400, Jeffrey Stephens wrote:
> I hope this is the right list to query for problems installing gnome.  I
> couldn't find a list
> or a news group specifically dedicated to this subject.
>
> I just began to install the sources for the gnome desktop.  I am running
> a roll your own
> Linux with kernel 2.4.18, glibc-2.2.5, gcc-2.95.3, and XFree86 4.2.  I
> visited the gnome
> website at www.gnome.org and found the FAQ where a suggested order of
> install was
> available.  I used this and began installation.  Everything seemed to go
> along well until I
> got to gnome-libs.  Now I am getting the following error message when I
> run:
>
>     # ./configure --prefix=/usr
>
> checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
> checking for gtk-config... /usr/bin/gtk-config
> checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.0... no

I can't say for sure what is going wrong with the information you have
given, but have a look in config.log in the gnome-libs directory after
it has reported the error. You should see the program it was trying to
compile and the compiler error messages. That should give you some
clues.

Cheers,
Malcolm