Re: QUESTION: how to add an application to the panel for EVERYONE

Daniel Ouimet wrote:

Hi!

I am new to Gnome. I am installing many Linux workstations in a
research center, and I would like to add "balsa" application in the
panel for everyone. Of course I am root, I have the privilege.
But I can't find the file to modify to do that.

I know the solution for 1 user. But how can I do that for all users,
so that the first time they use Gnome, they see the new
application???  Am I missing something here???

Thanks,
Daniel

Finding any config file for GNOME is difficult. Try doing a 'grep "known value" * -r '
in the /usr/share/gnome, and on the PC allready setup under ~/.gnome/
i.e on the PC with Balsa setup, do 'grep "balsa" * -R' . This will search the gnome files
recursivley, looking for any reference to the command balsa.

You know what they say, source is the best documentation....

Linux revolves round config scripts, yet GUI's even ones targeted to advanced users
give one no clues as to what files they ae meddaling with.
If a Linux newbie installs mandrake, with its nice GUI sys admin apps, it would be
very nice if they could learn from the GUI how to do these things manually.
GNOME could benefit from this too. i.e Select properties for a desktop item..and try
to find where that file resides!

Patrick.