Re: Will Gnome _EVER_ be stable?

On Fri, 2002-03-22 at 09:51, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> I am a Gnome user and haven't done any Gnome programming, so I apologize
> if this is a "duh", but in other programming projects, I have found that
> a library is often better than a daemon for things like this.

The problem with that is that you still have lots of applications all
trying to talk to everything at the same time; this can lead to a
"thundering herd" problem (like I suspect is happening with panel
applets). Fixing it when you need to deal with gnome-session, gconfd,
and a window manager all at the same time is harder than making gconfd
serialize updates to gnome-session and the window manager, and then
fixing *one* thundering herd.

--
brandon s. allbery   [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]  allbery kf8nh apk net
system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery ece cmu edu