Sound works, but I have no Gnome sounds, how to troubleshoot?

I've got a new Athalon 1.2GHZ 750MB machine with Debian wiidy oin it
that I'm setting up for my wife.

I have sound working, and if I run esd from a non Gnome session as a
user I get the startup beeps. When loged in as a normal user in a Gnome
session, I can see esd -nobeeps runing for that user. I've check the mixer
setings and all cahnels are set quite high.

I have both checkboxes check in the Gnome control panel sound window,
however, I get no Gnome sounds. Going to the second page of the Control
Panel sound window, and trying to test the sounds lso results in no sounds.

Hw can I further troubleshoot this?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin