GDM: window resizing annoyance

Are there any other anal-retentive pedants out there who find it
annoying how GDM resizes its login window slightly after you enter your
username?

After I enter my username and hit RET, the window is redrawn slightly
smaller and the box for my password is displayed.  Why does it do that?
Why can't the window stay the same size, just replacing the password
text etc.?

I realize this redraw is a tiny thing and that if I don't have anything
more important to complain about I should not bother at all, etc., but
to me it looks unprofessional... and it just bugs me :).

Debian Woody
GDM 2.2.5.4-2

 Paul D. Smith <pausmith nortelnetworks com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools