Re: Why ALWAYS need to log in twice for gdm to let me thru?

I had the exact same problem (only with RH 7.2) on my machine at
school.  Myself and another student had a problem where we would start
getting the "failed to connect to :0.0" error after we had already
logged in - no new programs could be run in X, but alreadry running
programs kept working fine.  Strangely, we're the only two to have that
problem, and the class room has nothing but the exact same computers,
with the exact same installs of RH 7.2.

Perhaps upgrading all the latest RH packages would help you out there?