Re: Fonts in gnome-2

Travis Saling wrote:
I was playing around a bit with Gnome 2 (via VBS), and it didn't take
more than a few seconds to decide that the default font really ... um,
how can I put this nicely ... lacked much to recommend it. So, I went to
the Applications / Preferences / Fonts selector, and chose a custom
font.

What I don't understand is why most of the fonts I have installed do not
show up in the "Pick a Font" list. Obviously this isn't grabbing the
font list from X. My question, then, is two fold. Where does Gnome 2
keep its list of fonts? And, what do I need to do to add some of my
existing TrueType fonts to the mix?

If you turn anti-aliasing off, you can use all the fonts X provides you.
But when you turn anti-aliasing on (use Xft), somehow you get a whole different list of font names! (such as Arial suddenly replaced by Nimbus Sans L???)
This is confusing, could somebody explain this?