Newbie Question

I'm using GNOME on a brand new Compaq DL350 server with 500MB RAM and a 1.0
GHz proc. Now foregoing the "why are using a GUI on a server" discussion, I
had something peculiar happen I wanted to as all of you about.

I was configuring BIND on the machine, using a couple of term windows. When
I finished, I hit the Lock Icon on the GNOME Panel, and it did not respond.
I tried a couple of other Icons but the only one that would respond was the
GNOME menu panel. I notices at this point, that my basic three desktop icons
were gone. I elected to reboot the machine, and then log back in using the
same "admin" account I was using. Everything seemed to be working fine,
however the icons did not come back. I then logged out and logged back in as
ROOT, and everything was present and working for ROOT, including the desktop
icons.

I am assuming that the desktop "crashed" on me, however, I do not know how
to restore it to what it was. Plus, is there anyway I can prevent this from
happening again ?]

Thanks,

Staven

-