Interesting problem with Ximian & SANE

Hello,

I wanted to ask about something before I file a bugzilla report, in case
TPEBCAK [1]. I had a default Red Hat 7.3 install including Gnome on an
old Pentium 166, and had successfully set up my old Microtek E6 SCSI
scanner as a network-available scanner - I was able to use it from
another Linux box, and also from a Windows machine via XSane-Win32. Then
I "upgraded" to Ximian Gnome via go-gnome, grabbed all updates via Red
Carpet, and re-edited the /etc/sane.d/saned.conf file. While I could
still scan locally on that box, and (after modifying net.conf to include
localhost) I could see the networked scanner via localhost, it was no
longer there as far as any other computer on the network was concerned.
After unsuccessfully futzing around with the various /etc/sane.d/ files
for a while, I finally re-installed the relevant Red Hat packages - and
all was well again.

Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas? Alternatively, is there any
way to tell Red Carpet I don't want to upgrade the SANE stuff so please
don't ask me anymore, thank you very much? (By the way, I love how one
can tell Red Hat's upgrade applet to ignore specific packages)

[1] The Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard.

--
Travis Saling
Webmaster, UW Electrical Engineering