installing gnome for first time

I downloaded the source folder today. After trying to run ./configure on the
first file listed, I received error messages that oaf.x.x.x could not be
found....etc.

The message on the source install pages on gnome.org says just to install
each archive in the order listed and downloaded. This doesn't make sense
though.

How does one go about deciding which files to install and compile first, so
that the other files they depend upon will be in place?

Thanks for any help, and I know my question is broad.

scott