GNOME Summary for 2002-05-25 - 2002-06-01

This is the GNOME Summary for 2002-05-25 - 2002-06-01

Table of Contents

1. GNOME 2 enters hard freeze
2. Hacking GTK+ apps in LOGO
3. Want another flavour GTK+ 2.0 Window Manager?
4. GNOME gets big in Christchurch
5. GnomeMeeting release for Gnome2 available
6. Thumbs up for gthumb
7. GStreamer gets seek support
8. Accessibility framework explained
9. Translated GNOME Summaries
10. Hacker Activity
11. Gnome Bug Hunting Activity
12. New and Updated Software

1. GNOME 2 enters hard freeze

GNOME2 is entering hard freeze today (monday). This means the only
allowed code changes are fixes to the bugs with the GNOME 2.0.0
milestone. At the time of this writing that means 9 bugs left to fix
before we can make the GNOME 2.0 RC 1 release. To follow the hunt to
squash those last bugs check out the link below.

        http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q19142BD

2. Hacking GTK+ apps in LOGO

Is LOGO your favourite programing Language and you always felt left out
since there was not bindings? Well help is underway. The first
screenshoot of a GTK button programed in LOGO has been made available.
This huge step for mankind has been made possible by the existence of
Mono and GTK-Sharp.

        http://monologo.sourceforge.net/gtk.png
        http://monologo.sourceforge.net
        http://www.go-mono.org
        http://gtk-sharp.sourceforge.net/

3. Want another flavour GTK+ 2.0 Window Manager?

A lot of projects are busy with porting to GTK+ 2.0 these days including
the XFCE project. Olivier Fourdan has just put up a new batch for tar
files and rpms of the GTK+ 2.0 based window manager XFCE4 and his new
GTK+ 2.0 theme engine. The XFCE4 windowmanager boast such features as
being based on the GTK event loop, support all freedesktop.org standards
and it takes its default colors from your gtkrc-2.0 file meaning its use
of colors are consistent with the rest of your desktop.

        http://www.xfce.org/archive/xfce4-snapshots/
        http://moongroup.com/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2002-May/000060.html
        http://moongroup.com/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2002-April/000049.html
        http://www.xfce.org

4. GNOME gets big in Christchurch

Our friends at gnomedesktop.com provided a nice link this week to a
story about a New Zealand company that is sucessfully migrated its 300
desktops to using GNOME. It seems Evolution is giving GNOME a foot
inside the door many places these days. When GNOME 2.0 is releases with
its new accessibility features expect to see that too opening a lot of
doors for us.

http://www.idg.net.nz/webhome.nsf/UNID/ECC4743A6E460FAFCC256BC2007F707F?OpenDocu
ment&Highlight=2,Linux

5. GnomeMeeting release for Gnome2 available

The first GnomeMeeting version for GNOME2 was released this week,
version 0.92.1. In addition to the improvements brought by the GNOME 2
plattform this release includes things like improved preferences window
and experimental Quicknet support. Check out the Gnomemeeting website
for nice updated screenshoots and a complete feature list.

        http://www.gnomemeeting.org/

6. Thumbs up for gthumb

Always wanted a very fast and easy to use image viewer kinda like
GQView, but with better GNOME integration. Well then you should try out
gthumb. It is very fast and features a really nice looking GUI. And of
course a GNOME2 version is available.

        http://gthumb.sourceforge.net
        http://gthumb.sourceforge.net/tn_main_window_1.100.jpg

7. GStreamer gets seek support

One feature that has been often requested in the GStreamer media
framework is support for seeking. Thanks to the great work of Wim
Taymans support for this is now commited to GStreamer CVS. What makes
this extra good is that this seek support does time-accurate seeks
unlike many of the other seek implementations available on Linux and
Unix. The GStreamer team is now hard at work to get a 0.4.0 release out
the door and at the same time Jorn Baayen and the Rhythmbox
team is working on making a Rhythmbox release that implements and uses
this new seek support. Another cool GStreamer development is by Thomas
Vander Stichele who have added a libfame plugin to GStreamer giving us
support for encoding and decoding Mpeg-4 videos. From the Rhythmbox
developers camp Kristian Rietveld is reported to have added support for
shoutcast metadata to gnome-vfs.

        http://www.gstreamer.net
        http://www.rhythmbox.org

8. Accessibility framework explained

As you know GNOME will feature a very nice accessibility framework in
GNOME 2.0. What you might not know is that this framework is very
modular, which means that the libraries that implementes it can be used
by other toolkits and frameworks also to get accessibility support. Two
projects that will use the same libraries are Mozilla and Open Office.
For a nice overview of the accessibility support check out this writeup
created to illustrate things to the Mozilla developers. This also
illustrates how the Java accessibility support will integrate with the
rest of the system.

        http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=77614&action=view

9. Translated GNOME Summaries

Want to read the Summary in your native languagae? We now feature
French, Spanish, Hungarian, Korean and Portuguese translations.

        http://www.gynov.org/news/index.php4
        http://es.gnome.org/actualidad/
        http://cactus.rulez.org/projects/gnome/summary/
        http://developer.gnome.or.kr/news/
        http://debian-br.cipsga.org.br/resumo-gnome/

10. Hacker Activity

Thanks for Paul Warren for these lists.

  Most active modules:
 70 gimp
 60 gnome-panel
 57 gnumeric
 48 evolution
 44 gnome-utils
 40 yelp
 40 nautilus
 40 metacity
 38 gnome-docu
 37 gnome-applets
 36 gnome-media
 36 galeon
 33 gtk+
 33 gnome-pim
 31 gnome-control-center
 30 libgnomeprint
 29 gnome-i18n
 29 glade--
 29 gnome-games
 26 libgnomeprintui
[150 active modules omitted]

  Most active hackers:
 74 isam
 67 carlos
 63 kmaraas
 55 jody
 55 chyla
 48 stano
 46 pablo
 45 michael
 42 olau
 38 menthos
 36 gman
 33 dnloreto
 32 neo
 32 sander
 31 srittau
 31 ireneryan
 30 christof
 30 hp
 28 hallski
 28 adrighem
[150 active hackers omitted]

Currently open: 7072 (In the last week: New: 865, Resolved: 723,
Difference:
+142)

Modules with the most open bugs (excluding enhancement requests):

  nautilus: 841 (In the last week: New: 65, Resolved: 130, Difference:
-65)
  gtk+: 559 (In the last week: New: 25, Resolved: 12, Difference: +13)
  gnome-core: 291 (In the last week: New: 76, Resolved: 59, Difference:
+17)
  gnome-vfs: 262 (In the last week: New: 3, Resolved: 4, Difference: -1)
  galeon: 253 (In the last week: New: 147, Resolved: 133, Difference:
+14)
  GIMP: 218 (In the last week: New: 15, Resolved: 31, Difference: -16)
  control-center: 201 (In the last week: New: 44, Resolved: 31,
Difference: +13)
  sawfish: 182 (In the last week: New: 13, Resolved: 9, Difference: +4)
  gnome-applets: 175 (In the last week: New: 33, Resolved: 24,
Difference: +9)
  gnome-pilot: 154 (In the last week: New: 11, Resolved: 0, Difference:
+11)
  gnome-panel: 149 (In the last week: New: 76, Resolved: 43, Difference:
+33)
  balsa: 135 (In the last week: New: 10, Resolved: 2, Difference: +8)
  medusa: 127 (In the last week: New: 0, Resolved: 0, Difference: 0)
  glib: 80 (In the last week: New: 9, Resolved: 2, Difference: +7)
  Gnumeric: 75 (In the last week: New: 16, Resolved: 22, Difference: -6)

Gnome Bugzilla users who resolved or closed the most bugs:

  yaneti declera com: 117 bugs closed.
  bordoley msu edu: 91 bugs closed.
  kmaraas gnome org: 63 bugs closed.
  louie ximian com: 50 bugs closed.
  jody gnome org: 49 bugs closed.
  jfleck inkstain net: 26 bugs closed.
  hp redhat com: 23 bugs closed.
  quinet gamers org: 21 bugs closed.
  michael ximian com: 16 bugs closed.
  k_wayne linuxpower org: 15 bugs closed.
  mark skynet ie: 15 bugs closed.
  kfv101 psu edu: 12 bugs closed.
  micke codefactory se: 10 bugs closed.
  shane oconnor ireland sun com: 10 bugs closed.
  federico ximian com: 9 bugs closed.

12. New and Updated Software

AFE Bluetooth applet  - Bluetooth communication suite
gsendfile  - gnome sendfile frontend
Encompass  - A lightweight Web Browser
GtkDatabox  - Fast display of numerical data
Armada Backlight Controller  - Compaq Armada backlight controller
BananaPos  - Point Of Sale
gFTP  - A multithreaded FTP client
Bond  - Database RAD tool.
vlc  - DVD and MPEG player
CCView  - A C++ project browser.
oggdoctor  - ogg/vorbis toolbox
MrProject  - Project management application
gnocl  - A gtk / gnome extension for Tcl
Pan  - Usenet newsreader
Yelp  - Help browser for GNOME 2.0
gedit  - Lightweight UTF-8 text editor
File Roller  - File Roller is an archive manager.
Sagasu  - Find strings in multiple files

For more information on these packages visit the GNOME Software map:
http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/latest.php

We are getting down to the last and hardest bugs now before GNOME 2.0 is
ready to be released. Personally I am getting really y excited about
this release as it brings a level of polish and usability to the GNOME
desktop that we have not had before. But maybe more important is how
this release really makes a solid and good foundation to build on for
years to come, enabling us to do things that where simply not possible
on the old development plattform. One of my favourite features of the
new plattform is how it has united the GTK+ and GNOME worlds so we no
longer have a different look between GTK+ and GNOME applications, giving
you a much more consistent look accross the desktop. My most heartfelt
thanks to all the developers who have helped us get here, while
I and Steve have tried mentioning the efforts of as many as you as
possible through the years we know that there are a lot of unsung heroes
out there.

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller
gnome-summary gnome org