Adding new panel menu entries without user interaction?

How can one add new user-specific entries to the panel's application
menu without user interaction?  In GNOME 1.4 we just installed a new
.desktop file to ~/.gnome/apps and the entry got added to the
favorites menu.

I've tried installing .desktop files into
~/.gnome2/vfolders/applications but the entries do not show up until
gnome-panel gets restarted.

When I use 'gnome-desktop-item-edit applications:///foo.desktop' the
new entry shows up immediately but gnome-desktop-item-edit doesn't
seem to have a non-interactive mode.

        Juergen

--
Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Team
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux.html