toolbar icons

I installed GNOME from scratch on my Linux system.
The distribution was Slackware a long, long time
ago, but now it's my own kind of a Linux-from-scratch
mutant, though I've tried to follow a Debian-esque
model.

One problem that recently  bothered me enough to look
into is where the toolbar icons should be installed.
I've compiled and installed gnome-libs.  The toolbar
icons seem to be in gnome-libs-1.4.1.7/libgnomeui/pixmaps
but when I 'make install' none but a few seem to be
actually installed. I've copied the icons to
/usr/local/share/gnome/help/session/C and the toolbars
look fine now, but I don't know if this is actually where
they go.  Where should the pixmaps go?

Fred