GNOME Summary for 2002-06-23 - 2002-07-06

This is the GNOME Summary for 2002-06-23 - 2002-07-06

Table of Contents

1. GNOME 2 is AVAILABLE
2. SVG in GTK+?
3. Tables in Abiword
4. Uncle Luis wants YOU
5. GStreamer 0.4.0 out
6. Red Hat releases beta with beautiful GNOME 2 integration
7. Agnubis 0.1 release coming closer
8. GNOME 2.0.x and 2.x: The Plan
9. Shermans Lagoon applet ported to GNOME2
10. Translated GNOME Summaries
11. Hacker Activity
12. Gnome Bug Hunting Activity
13. New and Updated Software

1. GNOME 2 is AVAILABLE

The time of waiting was over last week as GNOME 2 was finally released.
It has been lots of heavy lifting by our developers to get here and
there is a clear sense of achievement over this release as we have
managed to successfully move to a technology stack which can sustain us
and truly be a foundation to grow on for some years to come. The simple
fact is that we now have a desktop technology stack that is ready to
delivers solutions to all users regardless of language used or
abilities/disabilities. This means that our partners in
companies like Red Hat and Sun can go to companies, universities and
government institutions and say yes when asked if their desktop support
things like arabic scripting or accessibility equipment for blind users.
Well enough ranting from me, go to the GNOME 2 release page to get the
details.

        http://www.gnome.org/start/2.0/

2. SVG in GTK+?

People are starting to think about features and fixes to get into GNOME
2.2 and beyond. One suggestion that is interesting is adding SVG support
to GTK+ by moving our svg rendering library, rsvg, into GTK+. This would
enable use to have scaleable user interfaces which could be useful for
people with very high resolutions and it can also have accessibility
uses. Jimmac made the following screenshot comparing how GTK+ could look
using a SVG based theme like Scaleable Gorilla (our SVG Nautilus theme)
and how it looks today with our standard bitmap theme. Personally I
think a cool feature that this would enable while still have good
looking app icons is to enlarge your active application. That
would enable us to use very high resolutions while still maintaining
usability on the active application.

http://www.linuxrising.com/files/gtk-default-gorilla-side-by-side.png

3. Tables in Abiword

You love Abiword, but tend to get troubles with importing documents due
to missing support for tables? Martin Sevior has been hard at work
adding table support to the development version of Abiword. This effort
is now being rewarded with success. There is still work to do, but we
got this screenshot now showing Abiword with some nice table action.

        http://www.linuxrising.com/files/abiwordwithtables.png

4. Uncle Luis wants YOU

Are you smart, able and willing? Then you are now drafted by Luis Villa
to help out with writing patches for the bugs that are now placed on the
GNOME 2.0.1 and GNOME 2.0.2 list. For the full list of issues that need
your immediate attention soldier, check the link below. And the only
reply we want to hear is: Sir, Yes Sir!

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2002-July/msg00063.html

5. GStreamer 0.4.0 out

The multimedia magicians of the GStreamer project produced yet another
development release of the GStreamer multimedia framework. Time accurate
seeking, new registry system, more developer documentation and video
effect plugins being among the biggest changes. Also new in this relase
is that for Red Hat users GStreamer now offers easy install through both
Ximian Red Carpet and using apt-get. Work is also being done to get
GStreamer into Cooker, the Mandrake development distribution. Read the
release information details at link below.

        http://www.gstreamer.net/releases/0.4.0/

6. Red Hat releases beta with beautiful GNOME 2 integration

The latest beta release from Red Hat labeled 'Limbo' is using GTK+ and
GNOME all over. It includes some very nice looking tools for configuring
X, language, keyboard language etc, all GTK+ 2.0 based and following the
GNOME Usability guidelines.If you have a machine you can run a beta
release on you really want to check this one out.

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2002-07-03-019-26-NW-RH-SW

7. Agnubis 0.1 release coming closer

The Agnubis team is currently working hard to get the first release out
to the masses. The application is really starting to take shape in CVS
now, but there are still some important pieces needing to get done
before some basic usability is in place. Check out the latest screenshot
to get some ideas of current status and plans.

http://www.gnome.org/projects/agnubis/images/agnubis-july2002.png

8. GNOME 2.0.x and 2.x: The Plan

Our favourite Australian Jeff Waugh posted a mail last week explaining
the release goals and plan for the 2.0.x and 2.x releases. A must read
for everyone as it includes a lot of information on what kind if things
you can expect to happen where and when.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2002-July/msg00060.html

9. Shermans Lagoon applet ported to GNOME2

Want a really nice and cool looking applet in your GNOME2 panel? Then it
is time to try out the Shermans Lagoon applet that has just been ported
to GNOME2. It features all your favourite characters from Shermans
Lagoon. Its time to roll over Wanda.

        http://aquariumapplet.sourceforge.net/

10. Translated GNOME Summaries

Want to read the Summary in your native language? We now feature French,
Spanish, Hungarian, Korean and Portuguese translations.

        http://www.gynov.org/news/index.php4
        http://es.gnome.org/actualidad/
        http://cactus.rulez.org/projects/gnome/summary/
        http://developer.gnome.or.kr/news/
        http://debian-br.cipsga.org.br/resumo-gnome/

11. Hacker Activity

Thanks for Paul Warren for these lists.

  Most active modules:
 95 gnucash
 66 gnomeicu
 52 evolution
 39 gnome-panel
 29 SashXB
 28 mc
 28 galeon
 28 pan
 25 gtk+
 25 gedit
 24 gnome-utils
 24 gnomemeeting
 24 nautilus
 23 gok
 21 gtkhtml
 20 gnome-session
 20 gnome-2.0-test-specs
 19 gnome-pim
 18 gnumeric
 18 glib
[107 active modules omitted]

  Most active hackers:
 72 warlord (gnucash)
 38 jwise
 34 menthos
 33 mborchers
 32 mmclouglin
 30 srittau
 26 stano
 25 fejj
 25 proskin
 23 dtb
 22 Tester
 22 murrayc
 20 rodo
 20 gman
 20 hegde
 20 jbaayen
 17 cfergeau
 17 aheitner
 16 yacob
 16 atevstef
[114 active hackers omitted]

Currently open: 7644 (In the last week: New: 712, Resolved: 640,
Difference:
+72)

Modules with the most open bugs (excluding enhancement requests):

  nautilus: 834 (In the last week: New: 54, Resolved: 51, Difference:
+3)
  gtk+: 605 (In the last week: New: 26, Resolved: 29, Difference: -3)
  galeon: 311 (In the last week: New: 99, Resolved: 93, Difference: +6)
  gnome-core: 292 (In the last week: New: 51, Resolved: 32, Difference:
+19)
  gnome-vfs: 276 (In the last week: New: 5, Resolved: 3, Difference: +2)
  GIMP: 259 (In the last week: New: 10, Resolved: 3, Difference: +7)
  control-center: 219 (In the last week: New: 42, Resolved: 34,
Difference: +8)
  gnome-panel: 205 (In the last week: New: 46, Resolved: 54, Difference:
-8)
  gnome-applets: 204 (In the last week: New: 32, Resolved: 6,
Difference: +26)
  sawfish: 181 (In the last week: New: 5, Resolved: 22, Difference: -17)
  gnome-pilot: 150 (In the last week: New: 10, Resolved: 32, Difference:
-22)
  balsa: 117 (In the last week: New: 9, Resolved: 4, Difference: +5)
  medusa: 96 (In the last week: New: 0, Resolved: 0, Difference: 0)
  gnome-terminal: 85 (In the last week: New: 23, Resolved: 14,
Difference: +9)
  Pan: 83 (In the last week: New: 30, Resolved: 28, Difference: +2)

Gnome Bugzilla users who resolved or closed the most bugs:

  heath pointedstick net: 74 bugs closed.
  louie ximian com: 74 bugs closed.
  yaneti declera com: 65 bugs closed.
  andrew sobala net: 43 bugs closed.
  mpeseng tin it: 25 bugs closed.
  jsh pixelslut com: 21 bugs closed.
  srittau jroger in-berlin de: 19 bugs closed.
  mark skynet ie: 16 bugs closed.
  charles rebelbase com: 16 bugs closed.
  jfleck inkstain net: 16 bugs closed.
  otaylor redhat com: 13 bugs closed.
  hp redhat com: 11 bugs closed.
  maggi athena polito it: 11 bugs closed.
  jaka gnu org: 11 bugs closed.
  cbiesinger web de: 11 bugs closed.

13. New and Updated Software

Shermans aquarium  - Swimming fish applet
GStreamer  - Multimedia framework
XmlView  - Bonobo Xml View
Prospectus Landscape Suit  - 3D Landscape Suit
COnfigurator for Gnome  - Edit advanced Gnome settings
gnome-mud  - Multi-User Dungeon client
Coriander  - 1394 camera controller
gturing  - A simple Turing machine simulator
gcompris  - education games canvas kids children
David  - C, C++ code editor
File Roller  - archive manager.
Gnewspost  - Newspost frontend
gLabels  - labels and business cards
GChemPaint  - 2D chemical structures editor
gnome-mlview  - xml editor for gnome
CVSGnome Build Script  - CVSGnome Build Script
Metacity-Setup  - Metacity Configuration Tool
GMime  - create, edit, and parse MIME
Crux Theme  - Crux theme for GNOME 2
GtkUndo  - Undo/Redo library
Elysium Download  - Download Manager for GNOME
Dr. Genius  - Geometry Sofware
Gnumeric  - spreadsheet
Gnome Predict  - Real time satellite tracking program.

For more information on these packages visit the GNOME Software map:
http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/latest.php

Another summer schedule summary so no long comment from me. The only
thing I want to do is to ask everyone who reads this and then meets Gman
on IRC to ask him to listen more to his mother. She is a wise woman.

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller
gnome-summary gnome org