Fonts with Gtk2

Hi there,

I started fiddling with fonts (as everyone else seems to do) a few days
ago and noticed that I can get gtk2 working with ms-fonts but no more.
Some more tweaking brought to the light, that I can get every font I
downloaded working with x (eg have it listed in xfontsel) but not
working with gdk/xft (at least it does not show up in
gnome-font-properties)..it seems like it depends upon the font - but I
do not actually have any idea on what property..

Can anyone help out? I would appreciate any hint!

-Knut