gdm does not allow login

I installed the latest gnome desktop (every *.tar.gz in the current source tree), but gdm is giving me a problem. I created a gdm user/group (is there a specific home dir or shell i need to set?), then installed it as directed by the INSTALL file. I then put DESKTOP="GNOME" in the /etc/sysconfig/desktop file, which is read by the /etc/X11/prefdm script. (I run RedHat). gdm will load, but when I try to log in, it says "user does not exist", for every user, I dont even get to enter a password. Are there any permission on files that need to be set, or setting I've missed. THIS IS NOT JUST HAPPENING WITH ROOT. gdm owns /usr/local/var/gdm. xdm works.