Re: Menus - I dont' get gnome2 (reprise)

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 11:38:46PM +1200, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-07-04 at 23:08, bordoley msu edu wrote:
> > The point is that having kill in the window list menu is pretty crack,
> > since ideally programs should never crash. (plus kill in the window list
> > was xkill so it just disconnected the app from the xserver). A better
> > solution to this problem is the one provided by metacity. If a program
> > becomes unresponsive, metacity popups a dialog asking the user if they
> > want to kill the application. But metacity actually kills the app using
> > killall. This is a much better ui overall.
>
> Except when (as in this case) the app had not stopped responding, it was
> simply looping through a request dialogue due to a bug like so:
>
> click cancel or window close widget
> pop up window "are you sure?"
> click "yes"

(Last two lines repeated often.)

I can cut/copy and paste, and paste, and paste, . . .  too.

Asking "Are you sure?" is a bug. A "Yes" button is a bug. The program also
has a bug. If something is presenting a dialog to kill an application,
whether that means kill the program or kill the client, and not doing so
then that's another bug.

File bug reports.

I've already said one way to make an easy access kill button.

Repeating that sequence as you did indicates that you do not intend to
help yourself, help anyone help you or others, or even allow yourself to
be helped. I'm assuming here that you didn't know that.

Cheers,
Greg Merchan