Screensaver problem

I have configure my gnome desktop to use a specific screensaver after
120 minutes, with a password. However, sometimes, I get a random
screensaver after just a few minutes, which clears without a password (I
think this is the default gnome behaviour)

I'm running gnome 1.4 from redhat 7.2. The home directory was originally set
up under older versions and was behaving correctly under ximian gnome
1.4, redhat 7.1. The root and usr partitions are from a clean install of
redhat 7.2 (format ans start from scratch - not an upgrade).

I'm not sure if it's relevant but my desktop is drawn by gmc - nautilus
was just too slow and flaky

Any ideas?

David

--