Re: UNC file reference

Thanks.  That, at least, gives me someplace to start exploring.  :)

-Tom Caudron

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim George <jim george blueyonder co uk>

this might be treasonous but I seem to remember, in the dim and distant
past, that Konqueror would allow you to reference a file in by its UNC.

Also, in KDE, there is a KDE daemon called LIS (or somesuch) that allows
SAMBA share browing so it may be of use in resolving your problem.

HTH

jim
On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 20:35, Tom Caudron wrote:
> I have a question.  I've looked through help and online but have seen no
> answer.  Perhaps someone here can help.
>
> I just recently moved entirely to linux at home (3 new linux boxen
coverted
> to the cause), but my wife is still on Windows as is my MP3 server becuase
> it uses dell software (windows only) that serves up mp3s to the Dell
Digital
> Audio Reciever downstairs.  Until now, I used a common set of playlists
with
> UNC file references so that any system could play them.  Sadly that
doesn't
> work in linux.  :(
>
> Is there a way to refer to an smb share that is recognized by both Linux
and
> Windows?  In Windows I'd use a UNC like so:
>
> \\MyDomain\MyServer\MyFile.doc
>
> Which I can type in any file dialog box or in windows explorer or wherever
> and have it resolve to a file.  In Linux, a UNC works when I map a share
> (C.f., /etc/fstab or the mount command for examples of its use) but I
can't
> use that in a file dialog box to refer to a file.  In a file dialog box,
> apparently I can only reference a mounted file.  Therefore, I cannot make
an
> mp3 playlist, store it on my mp3 server and open it from any other system
> and have it work.  To work in Gnome, it has to refer to the linux mount
(in
> my case /network/mp3) because it cannot resolve a UNC (in my case
> \\tinuviel\mp3storage).  Any ideas for a solution to this one?
>
> Any help is appreciated.  I wasn't sure if this was a Gnome-specific issue
> or not, so forgive me if it's off-topic.  I don't know what object in
Linux