Re: how to change gnome2 default font ?

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 12:25:49PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Xiong Jiang <jxiong offtopic org> writes:
> > If pangox.aliases is what I need, where can I find the document
> > or any example ?  Furthermore where can I find information about these
> > gnome2 conf files ?  They are supposed to be known to not only
> > distribution makers, but users as well, right ?
>
> Users shouldn't need them, really, once GNOME has a control panel to
> change the font.

Don't agree on this with you.  Maybe you speak from a distribution maker's
point of view.  It's true we want gnome fool-proof, but that's not
to say no users want to know where the conf files are. We should not
hide the conf files from users. It can be much helpful if they know
it in case conf files are screwed up by bugs in control-center or
whatever tools.  Speaking as a user/tester/maybe-want-to-be-developer,
I have to say it is essential, and won't frustrate newbies
to participate in the whole project.

> pangox.aliases is in pango/examples/pangox.aliases in the Pango
> tarball. Maybe you didn't install the "examples" subdirectory?

It's in $INSTALL_DIR/pango/.  Thank you for the clue.

> XftConfig is an XFree86 config file, not a GNOME config file. There
> isn't a GNOME-specific config file.

It's the conf fir gdkxft, AFAIK.

> The gtkrc setting is now called font_name and it wants a Pango font
> name, e.g.:
>  font_name = "Sans 14"
>  font_name = "Arial 16"
> So you could also just add such a setting to ~/.gtkrc-2.0

Thanks for the information.  Now I add my ttf fonts into
$INSTALL_DIR/pango/pangox.aliases,  right before the -fixed- fonts
to give it higher priority.  And my $INSTALL_DIR/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc.zh_CN
now has:

style "gtk-default-zh-cn" {
    font_name = "Sans 14"
}
class "GtkWidget" style "gtk-default-zh-cn"

Thanks all my gedit2 and other gnome2 app display are fairly the
same as gnome 1.4 now.

> But really the "Sans" alias should work in Chinese, for a correct GTK
> installation.

I'm playing with gnome2 from head, and in the progress of finding what's
a correct GTK installation for my additional ttf fonts.. :)