Re: How do you change the resolution in gnome?

This would make a good app for gnome maybe. I small program that allows the user to select a resolution and even color depth. I know that for someone who just wants to change the resolution it can be hard to understand the XF86Config file. Does X provide any way to get a list of the supported resolutions that can be switched to by the Ctl-Alt-+ Ctl-Alt--? And does X have a way to change the resolution with an API call? I do not know the X API, but could someone point me at a good webpage or book to learn this kind of thing.

Maybe this application could expand into a large XF86 config application for gnome.

Alan LaViolette

Lionel Lecoq wrote:

This is an X question...
If you have more than one resolution in your config file (/etc/X11/XF86Config if you are using
3.3.6 or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 if you are using 4.0.1) then you can toggle between resolutions by
pressing Ctrl Alt numeric pad + (increase) and Ctrl Alt numeric pad - (decrease)
If you have only one resolution then hack the file corresponding to your X version:
version 4 (XF86Config-4) you would find the screen section and adapt the following lines
Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device "my graphic card" # the identifier of your device
	Monitor "my monitor" # the identifier of your monitor
	DefaultDepth 16
	Subsection "Display"
		Depth 16
		Modes "800x600" # or whatever resolution you want and your card can give you...
	EndSubSection
EndSection

The screen section for 3.3.6 is pretty similar you can adapt the example without problem...
Note: if your card was not recognised and you are using the generic VGA device then post on
newbie XFree86 org specifying card, monitor and posting your XF86Config resp XF86Config-4
Lionel

--- tim chau <timtchau yahoo com> wrote:

Please help. I want to change my resolution from 640x480 to 800x600. I am
currently running RedHat 7.0. Thank you.