Gnome KPPP and logout problems

Title: Gnome KPPP and logout problems

Hi All and thanks for any help in advance,
I have a clean install of Mandrake 8.1 and I use Gnome1.4 as my desktop.
When I log in and use Kppp to connect to the internet I get a problem
upon logout. After closing all apps and selecting logout Gnome just
sits there not responding to anything (except the middle mouse button?).
The only thing I can do is to switch to a virtual console Ctrl-Alt-F5
and kill the gnome-session process. This takes me back to the login screen.

Any ideas ? What can I look for, or try, to find the problem ?

Cheers,
        Alan Patterson

This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Nexan Limited.

If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify Nexan Limited by phoning 01223 713500 or by fax on 01223 713501.

NOTE:
We cannot accept any liability for any loss or damage sustained as a result of software viruses.  It is your responsibility to carry out such virus checking as is necessary before opening any attachment.