Re: GTK(?) vs unclutter... please fix!

"Paul Smith" <pausmith nortelnetworks com> writes:

> %% Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:
>
>   hp> "Paul Smith" <pausmith nortelnetworks com> writes:
>
>   >> Is anyone looking at the horrible mess GTK (I guess it's GTK) makes when
>   >> used with unclutter?
>
>   hp> I don't think it's GTK or unclutter - it's probably Sawfish.
>
> That would be a feat indeed, since I don't use Sawfish! :)
>
> I'm using FVWM.  At work I have a full Gnome desktop but FVWM as the
> registered WM, and at home I just use plain FVWM plus some GTK/Gnome
> apps like Galeon, etc.  Similar behavior in both places.
>
> But I've been using unclutter and FVWM of various aspects for many, many
> years and it's only recently I've seen problems, mainly (as I mentioned)
> with Gnome apps.
>

> Hmm, another place where I see this constantly is ImageMagick apps like
> "display".  I have no idea what that uses as a widget/GUI interface?

To be blunt, either someone who uses unclutter will figure out what's
going on, and either:

 - submit a patch to unclutter to fix it
 - submit a patch to GTK+ to fix it.

Or the problem will still be there :-). Most likely unclutter is
violating the ICCCM in ways that "mostly work".

I'd be quite unwilling to add hacks to GTK+ to make it work with
unclutter unless they were extremely small and confined, but it's is
just possible that it is revealing bugs in GTK+.

Regards,
                              Owen