System Sounds vs. Real Sounds

In a discussion with a friend last night, we came up with the following:

"System sounds" such as GTK sounds, ICQ/AIM sounds, mail notification,
etc. are fundamentailly different from the sounds that come from XMMS,
Gstreamer, and the like. Because they are different, when I turn up the
volume on my computer, it is because would like my computer's "real"
sounds (like those from XMMS) to be louder. With the volume cranked up,
I don't want to be defened by an ICQ message.

Has anyone considered this issue? It would seem that this sort of thing
should be part of a sound server's API---that programs should let the
system know which sounds are merely feedback sounds. A volume controler
could then control the system sounds spearately from the "real" sounds.

Any thoughts?

--Ben