Device icons

Hi all,

I use Red Hat Linux 7.2 with the version of GNOME that ships with it, Sawfish window manager, and I use gmc as my file manager (although I like the look and features of Nautilus, it seems too bloated for my tastes at the moment).  Here's my question:  Is there a way to change the names and icons used by gmc when it places device icons on my desktop?  I'm referring to those icons that appear when you right-click and select Rescan Devices.  On my machine, I renamed the links to my devices from their default /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrom1 to a more descriptive /dev/cdrw and /dev/cdrom, respectively.  I also renamed the corresponding mount points in /mnt.

When GNOME starts, it places icons on my desktop for symlinks that point to those mount points (as well as the /mnt/floppy mount point).  It names these icons "CD-ROM 0" (for /mnt/cdrom), "cdrw" (for /mnt/cdrw), and "Floppy 0" (for /mnt/floppy).  Also, the "cdrw" icon is a default block device icon instead of a CD-ROM icon.  Is there somewhere that I can configure GNOME (or most likely gmc) to recognize these mount points as the proper drive types and also name them according to my preferred scheme (CD-ROM, CD-RW, and Floppy, respectively)?  I've tried changing the names and icons and saving the session, but they just revert when I log back in.

Thanks in advance for any help any of you can give me.

Matt Rinehart
"Snakes are God's way of saying, 'Hey, look!  A snake!'"