Scroll wheel and alt keys

Hi,
I am running Gnome-1.4 on SuSE 7.3. I notice that I can't use the alt-leftarrow and alt-rightarrow keys in my websurfing, a la IE. But browsers such as Opera support this for moving back and forth in history. How do I get Gnome to recognize them? I notice that xev shows my alt keys being pressed, but does nothing when I press the arrow keys while alt is held down.

I use the Dvorak keyboard layout, btw. Maybe that makes a difference, but xev recognizes arrow keys too...

Also, how do I get the scroll wheel on my luxurious mouse to work? I love scrollwheels and miss it in Linux.

Thank you, gnomely people.

--
-Mike Schwager
listguy schwager com